Types of Property Cover

  1. Home
  2. Insurance
  3. Property Insurance Advice
  4. Types of Property Cover

What type of property cover is right for you?

Buildings Insurance

Buildings insurance covers the structure of the building, such as; walls, roof, floors, ceilings, windows and doors from damage. A buildings insurance policy should cover funds to rebuild your house in an event of it being completely damaged beyond repair.

The damage can come in many forms and is listed below:

  • Weather damage such as lightning, storms etc.
  • Earthquakes
  • Vandalism
  • Bursting of pipes
  • Falling trees
  • Flooding
  • Subsidence

Make sure to check that you are not living in a high risk area of damage such as flooding. You may have to pay extra for your insurance if you are.  This will provide you the peace of mind in knowing that you are adequately covered.

Many building insurance providers also cover you for garages, conservatories, greenhouses, fences etc. Policies may also cover permanent fixtures and fittings including cupboards, toilets, baths and kitchen units.  Make sure you check the policy carefully to see what you are covered for.

Always shop around for the most suitable building insurance and not the cheapest as you may leave some important items uncovered under the cheaper policy. Unfortunate accidents do occur from time to time, so it is imperative that adequate cover is taken out to protect your home.

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance covers your household possessions such as jewellery, electronic goods, furniture, carpets and clothing against theft, loss and damage. Contents insurance is not necessary but it is essential if you want to protect your valuables which you have paid a lot of money for over the years.

Generally, there are two types of contents insurance available; indemnity policy and ‘new for old’ policy. The indemnity insurance is the cheapest available and covers items by a wear and tear policy. For example, if a carpet was spoilt by paint then the claim would reflect how old the carpet was and pay out accordingly. On the other hand, ‘new for old’ policy is more expensive but would pay the full amount for a brand new carpet.

Many content insurance providers offer an accidental damage option as standard but usually you will have to pay extra if you want this cover. Cover for extra items can be bought if needed such as expensive jewellery, antiques and also your fridge freezer in case of power failure which means you can claim for the contents of your fridge.

Home contents insurance can also include the following things that don’t necessary stay at home:

  • Prams
  • Mobile phones
  • Handbag
  • Watches
  • Clothing
  • Bicycle

Always check with your home insurance contents provider for what you are covered for under your policy or read the small print that is attached with your paperwork.

Bear in mind that it is possible to combine buildings and contents insurance together and obtain a quote. This will often get you a good deal and save you hundreds of pounds.

Home Insurance for Landlords

Landlord insurance is the same as normal types of home insurance that everyday people apply for. All landlords need buildings insurance for the property that they may own but contents insurance is not essential as it will depend on how the property is equipped.

Landlords should conform to the list below to help minimise risks that property letting may involve:

  • Landlord liability – This covers for injuries that the person living in the rented accommodation my claim for against the landlord. If conditions are dangerous in the rented accommodation as a result of negligence on the landlords behalf then this could affect the claim.
  • Emergency assistance – This protects against call out fees  charged by contractors for undertaking work in emergencies. These may include roofing damage, heating problems, lost keys, plumbing etc.
  • Unoccupied property cover – For when you are between tenants, renovating a property, or when the property is otherwise empty.
  • Extra cover – For example, loss of rent due to the tenant not paying up. Additional cover could help in these circumstances.

Contact us for more advice on what buildings and contents insurance would be most suitable for you.